In the past few months I’ve been sharing a few outfits that come from my beloved Rent the Runway Unlimited subscription…and from newcomer to my wardrobe, Nuuly. Naturally, since rental is still an up-and-coming format for most of us, I’ve gotten a lot of questions.
Which is better, Rent the Runway or Nuuly? Which do you like more? What’s Nuuly? Which should I get?
The short answer is: they’re both amazing…but different. I plan to keep both plans because they provide value to my life and allow me to keep my wardrobe fresh but avoid contributing to the impact fast fashion has on the environment. Let me break it down for you.
What is Rent the Runway Unlimited?
Rent the Runway Unlimited is the subscription arm to the Rent the Runway you may know: renting a special dress or accessory for a particular date for a few days and then returning it. Rent the Runway unlimited provides you with four slots (you can add additional slots for $39 a month) to change out for whatever you’d like on their site. The site updates almost every day, and has a range of sizes and prices…but the subscription allows you to choose whatever four items you’d like, and switch them out as many times as you can for $160 a month.
Since I live very close to a Rent the Runway store, I’m able to switch out one or two things, or all four and exchange them in store. I’m also able to get deliveries to the store which helps them to get to me two or more days faster than if I got the delivery to my house. Because of this accessibility, Rent the Runway Georgetown is like my second home and I’m on a first name basis with nearly all of the employees. It also allows me to skip the plastic packaging that RTR clothes are wrapped in after they’re dry cleaned. Sustainability score!
However, if you’re not near a RTR store, you will have to wait to exchange your items (both sending them back, waiting for them to register with RTR, and then to receive items back). Still, the value of this subscription is INVALUABLE for fashionistas who want to constantly switch up their wardrobe, or if your body is in flux (pregnancy, weight-loss/gain) and you need different sizes (yes they do have maternity items). With this subscription, you can pause or skip a month at any time. The Rent the Runway app reminds you of deliveries, allows you to see awesome “edits” of the RTR closet (it is VAST), and put your faves in lists.
*Full disclosure, I am a RTR Ambassador, but was using the subscription for a full year before I was asked to participate!
- Cost: $160 per month for the classic 4 swap unlimited (return all 4 slots as many times as you want throughout the month). Add more slots for $39 a month. The NEW 1 swap plan is $89 (swap one item out per month, price listed is before before discount), and the 2 swap is $135 a month (swap two items out per month, price listed is before the discount).
- Special discounts for first time users?: Yes! Use code RTRKELLYLYNNE in July 2020 for 35% off RTR’s 1 swap, or 2 swap memberships!
- Delivery wait time: up to 2 business days if you’re getting a delivery to your house/a private address that is not a store. Can be next day if you deliver to a store before 2 pm the previous business day!
- Number of items at a time: Four slots that you can switch up with bags, accessories, clothing, workout gear, and even West Elm decor! You can add extra slots for $39 a per slot. Obviously, this is different for the new 1 swap and 2 swap plans.
- Accessibility: Stores in NYC, San Francisco, Santa Monica, DC, Chicago and delivery wherever. Return items in store, or at a UPS store or participating drop-off like WeWork.
- Pause/Skip?/Cancel: At any time through the app
- Tips: Going on a trip? Send your RTR bag to the address you’ll be at and skip having to pack those clothes in your bag.
- App?: Yes, it’s awesome!
- Favorite Rentals: Kate spade purses, Christian Siriano cocktail dresses, Tanya Taylor silk dresses and suits, Jonathan Simkai dress, Theory and Rebecca Taylor suits, Gucci sunglasses, Lululemon puffer, Caroline Constas and Hutch maxi.
What is Nuuly?
Nuuly is a newer rental option that combines URBN companies and the brands that they sell. Don’t know what URBN is? It’s the brand that owns Free People, Urban Outfitters, and Anthropologie. Nuuly’s clothing is typically a cheaper price point than Rent the Runway, and typically is home to more indie designers, more trendy items, and more affordable options (which is great, because you have the option to buy your Nuuly items!). They also offer vintage, mostly t-shirts and denim. Nuuly sends out six items at a time (you can purchase more slots, up to eight slots) and you keep them for the whole month. No switching. Nuuly sends the items in a lined reusable zipper tote with no plastic packaging, which makes it more sustainable than other rental sites that rely on plastic packaging to keep clothing dry back and forth from delivery.
- Cost: $88 per month for 6 clothing items, add two more slots for $18/each
- Special discounts for first time users?: Yes, you can get $20 off your first month using this code by clicking this link!
- Delivery wait time: 1 business day (seriously, it’s sooo fast!)
- Number of items at a time: 6 (or add up to 8 slots for $18 each) per month. This includes only clothing.
- Accessibility: Online only, no stores. Nuuly items are from Free People, Anthropologie, and Urban Outfitters, etc.
- Pause/Skip?/Cancel: Pause at any time
- Tips: Definitely add those extra slots. This subscription has great items, and your first Nuuly comes with a little “emergency” kit that you can use to spruce up your clothes for the month.
- App?: Nope, but use their website on desktop or mobile
- Favorite Rentals: Free people gauzy dress, Girl Meets Glam sequin cocktail dress, Avec Les Filles gauze trench coat, Anthropologie polka dot off the shoulder dress.
*This post contains affiliate links in the form of discounts to both subscriptions! Thank you for your support!